Sunday 29 May 2011

Maternal Mortality

Today, I recieved a call from a depressed mother who lost her daughter due to mismanagment and arrogance of doctors in one of district hospitals few days ago. I do not know this lady. She happened to work with my brother. My brother saw this lady in a very depressed mode so suggested that she calls me.  It was half an hour talk.  She was crying and sobbing on the phone.

I am not going to say all that the lady told me but I will only want to say the attitude of doctors in the hospital. She is not well verse with medical but she have some knowledge because she googled. She talked about 38 weeks, head not engaged, induction, LSCS, GDM, Edema, which one can pick up or take necessary action
 
Firstly the husband was not allowed throughout the labour (what happen to Husband friendly hospital). I stressed this when I teach practical session on antenatal care.  I insist during the practical session, there should be a husband together at every visit.  Yes it is difficult to find model during practical session but I managed.  By doing that the students (male and female) nurses remember to include the husband when women attended antenatal care.  For women, you must insist to have your husband come with you and husbands need to insist from Medical staff to him themselves present.  Study have shown that support system improve illness including birth outcomes for both mother and baby
Now back to the lady. From her description, the doctors behave as though the life of the lady is not worth. The followings are some of the words used and spoken to the mother who lost her child (The dead daughter is 26 years old, pregnant her first child)
"Dah nak jadi"
"LSCS lebih banyak risko, tak boleh beranak banyak, wound lambat baik (what sort of human being talking to a mother who just lost a child- tak dapat anak banyak when the life is lost)
"Kes macam ni kecil aja tak payah buis pun tak apa"
 
The doctors not at all response to the appeal or request made by the mother.  
It is sad a preventable maternal death happened in Malaysia, just because of the attitude of people who think they are in power.
 
By the way, maternal mortality in Malaysia is very rare and an inquiry will be held to find out the reason. Unfortunately, inquiry remain as inquiry and usually there is no firm action taken on the doctors but blame usually on the lower category of staff.  I am a midwife, I had delivered baby, I work with doctors and I know exactly and I can relate what the lady going through. 
 
I remembered when I was in New Zealand, a midwife was strike off from practicing because her action cause infant death. But before action was taken on her, there is strong debate which include lawyers. 

Basically, the lay person is not supposed to question the action or no action made by doctors, unless the lay person works in hospital, have a high status qualification. 

Move away from maternal mortality but still relate to attitude. 
 
I have a sister who is asthmatic and she uses a medication that suited her best, because it is her body. However doctors who usually like to prescribe new drug promoted by drug companies want my sister to have a new drug without testing. When my sister told the doctor about the medication that works for her, the response is
"Who is doctor here"

So think about it.  It is your body, you have every right to get and received what is best for you.  Suggestion and ideas and changes is welcome but it need to be tested before giving

Dr Aishah
 
Aishah
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment