Thursday 23 June 2011

Life in Singapore

22/6/11

I visited Singapore for an official work. I stayed with my family (auntie and cousin). I told myself, I will not live in Singapore because I feel life there is very restrictive and regimented. I feel Singaporeans lives in a box. But as I visit again and again, the life there despite being in the box, inside the box, there are many good things. Life is easy, safe and protected.

First look at the cost of living.  We cannot compare what we earn in Malaysia and buy things in Singapore. Don't compare apple and orange.  For those living in Singapore, the cost of living is pretty reasonable.  I went to a market to see what can we buy with Singapore 10 dollar.

Let look at the prices of basic needs- Condense milk (small tin)= 70 cents, fish kembong -$3.50 a kilo, sugar and flour $1.50 ~ a pack (Malaysia produce its own sugar), Cucumber (small) 5 for $1, prawn $6.00, egg in 30 $4. 30 cents and many more. I bought mangoesteen (I think it is from Malaysia), one kilo for $ 2.90.  Meat (mutton and beef or bone) $ 10 -12 ( I don't think Singapore those product).  In another word, if you bring $10 ringgit to market you can get a good decent meal for a day or twoPacked food, I love nasi rawan and nasi ambeng.  So I bought both at two different times. It cost about $4.50 to $5.00, which include a big piece of chicken, lung, vegetable, squid, bergedil (huge).  The portion is big. It can be eaten by three people (women) easily.

Secondly about the law. It is implemented and implemented well

For father who did not pay child support, when complaint is made, summon is sent and if the party did not respond, he will go to jail.  I know this because it happened to my own family (this is not new). For my recent visit, another law regarding this will soon be passed.  All fathers who did not pay child support will be black listed. This involved not only Muslims but all.  For the non-Muslim, they do not refer to any book, but it is the social responsibility so if they fail to do so, they too will face the consequences. Muslims also have the book to refer (Al Quran and Hadith) yet, many did not do so, what more their social responsibilities- were poor but because the law is well implemented, it makes life much easier and less burdensome. This is mention in Quran

“Upon the father are the mothers’ provision and their clothing according to what is acceptable” (al-Baqarah: 233)
The Prophet Muhammad (pbuh) said meaning:
“The man is a guardian of his family, the woman is a guardian and is responsible for her husband’s house and his offspring; and so all of you are guardians and are responsible for your subjects” (Al-Bukhari).


Enjoy

Dr Aishah Ali

No comments:

Post a Comment