Sunday 12 June 2011

Home Wedding in Perlis

As Salam and Hi

I was in Perlis last week (6-10/6) attended a wedding of my grandnephew (from my husband side). The wedding was held on Thursday. Why Thursday? Many people asked. The host is very genuine and humble. They want to make sure people come for the wedding and enjoy the foods and the atmosphere. If they were to choose Saturday or Sunday, people may come but, not many will eat the delicious foods that they cooked. Because on Saturday and Sunday, there are so many wedding, as it is school holiday. People will only eat in the first few houses so the subsequently houses they visited they will not be able to eat. And the food will be wasted. Because of the day that they chose, the food finished very quickly, so much so the cook have to cook for the second round. The foods were delicious and simple (Curry, plain rice, Sambal belacan, salted fish, ulam (Malay Salad). For the dessert it was mixed porridge (green bean, sago and corn with coconut). All the works are done by family members and neighbors

Having a wedding at home has more advantages than disadvantages. Firstly, it is cost effective, in term of the money spent. Secondly the food can be monitored and people can eat as much as they can if they want plus, there are some to take home. People don't just come, sit, eat and leave but they take time to meet the host and the people. Beside that, they too got to meet family members that they have not met for years as it happened to me. The Silaturrahim is tightening.

I was very happy and delighted that I attended. Previously I could not do so because of work. I have the opportunity to meet the families that I have not met for 10-20 years. Children has grown, the young has aged. I don't remember the family members and they don't remember me.

The wedding did not end at 5 pm. The festivity continued at night with samrah (the arabic dance). I forgot to mention, this is the wedding of the Arab clan. Samrh was danced by men and women (separately), but for this wedding only men were dancing including my two sons. The women are spectators. So we not only enjoy the foods and the company we also got entertained (free).

So think about home wedding

Dr Aishah

No comments:

Post a Comment